Here is a list of essential travel items to pack up before your visit to Sofia.
1. Travel Insurance or/and European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), for citizens of EU and EEA countries.
Read more on travel insurance for Bulgaria.
2. Credit or debit cards. Cash machines (ATM’s) are widely available.
Read more on cash machines and credit cards in Bulgaria.
3. Cash, preferably Euros, British Pounds or US Dollars, especially if planning to venture out of the city.
Learn more about the Bulgarian currency and exchange rates.
4. Travel adapter for 220 V current that fits into a standard European wall socket with 2 round parallel prongs.
It is commonly known as Schuko plug.
Electrical power outlet used in Bulgaria
5. Prescription drugs and other medicine that you might need, as well as an extra pair of glasses and contact lenses. Some optical stores will fill most glasses prescriptions for as little as 30 min and also offer a free eye exam.
Find out more information about heathcare for travellers in Sofia, Bulgaria.
6. Sun hat and sun lotion if you are traveling in the summer.
7. A light sweater and a windbreaker in the summer.
8. Mosquito and bug repellent. Mosquito populations peak in early June –July, when the rain is more frequent and the mosquito spraying - less so. Same goes for ticks.
9. Jacket in spring or autumn. Sudden temperature changes are common. Cold fronts and unexpected snowfalls have occurred as late as April.
Read more on weather in Sofia.
10. A warm pair of non-slip shoes that have been tried in snow for the winter months.
11. An umbrella or a rain coat. May and June are the wettest months is Sofia, followed by July and November.
12. Travel water bottle to refill at the many public water fountains. Read more on drinking water in Sofia.
13. Towel and personal toiletries if you plan to stay in budget accommodations.
14. Broken-in-shoes and a small backpack for day trips to Mt Vitosha.
15. Swimming suit. Even if you are planning a visit in the winter, many hotels in and around Sofia have a pool with hot mineral spring water.