Shop tax free while in Bulgaria and claim back your VAT on goods purchased from stores with the Tax Free Bulgaria logo.
As a non-EU resident you are entitled to reclaim your VAT on items purchased in Bulgaria and taken home with you.
HOW TO SHOP TAX FREE IN BULGARIA
To ensure you reclaim your VAT successfully
- Shop tax free wherever you see the Tax Free Bulgaria logo.
- Minimum spend: 250 lv
Purchase items for a minimum of 250 lv/125 euro in the same store. Purchases don’t have to be made on the same day, but must be listed on the same invoice. Stores can issue a joint invoice for purchases made in the course of several days, but no later than 3-4 days after the day of the first purchase.
The minimum amount of VAT to be reclaimed per each invoice is 50 lv/ 25 euro.
- Ask for your VAT Refund Form at the time of purchase, get the store to sign it and attach the original purchase receipt/invoice.
- Upon leaving Bulgaria ensure you get your VAT Refund Form stamped by Customs. If you are traveling to another EU country you can have the form stamped by customs upon exiting the EU.
If flying out of the country have the purchased items in your hand luggage in case the customs officer requests to inspect them.
For larger items that have to be checked in, notify the check-in clerk, who will call a customs officer.
- Contact a tax free agent to receive your VAT back in cash or via a bank transfer.
TAX FREE OFFICES IN BULGARIA
- Sofia Airport Terminal 2 departures, before border control.
+359 2 937 33 27
- Burgas airport Foreign Exchange Bureau “4X Change”
- A mail box is available at all land borders between Bulgaria and non-EU countries to be used after hours.
Put your bank account and contact information on the form to receive the VAT refund via a bank transfer.
A FEW EXTRA THINGS TO HAVE IN MIND
There are a few more requirements that have to be met before you can claim your VAT back
- The goods must be exported in their original form and without any modifications
- You have to leave Bulgaria/the EU no later than 3 months from the date of purchase
- Claim your VAT no later than 6 months from the date of purchase
The following goods are not eligible for a VAT refund
- Alcoholic drinks
- Tobacco and tobacco products
- Liquid fuels
- Goods with prices fixed by ministerial regulation.