Every bank in Sofia will be able to send or pay out a cash transfer by either MoneyGram or Western Union.
In addition, cash can be sent and received (but only in local currency) in:
- all post offices (via MoneyGram)
- all OMV petrol stations in the country (via Western Union).
RECEIVING CASH TRANSFERS
You will be required to present:
- a valid international passport or a picture ID card (for EU citizens only)
- the reference number of the transfer and the amount (should be obtained from the sender in advance).
You can receive your cash in:
- Bulgarian leva
- U.S. dollars
If you would like to receive your cash in Euros or USD, or if you are expecting a big amount, go to a bank. Most post offices and gas stations will not be able to pay out the transfer in a foreign currency and will not be able to pay out large transfers. Also, bear in mind that finding an English speaker might prove more difficult than in a bank office.
If the transfer originated in a currency other than Euro or USD and you would like to receive Bulgarian leva for it, expect some loss on the exchange rate.
In addition, there will be hefty taxes on each cash transfer that will vary according to the destination and the amount.
The taxes are usually covered by the sender unless otherwise requested.
The transactions are instantaneous.
LIST OF LOCATIONS IN BULGARIA
- Unicredit Bulbank
- DSK bank (banka DeSeKa)
- First Investment Bank (Parva Investicionna Banka)
- Exchange bureaus “Factor I.N.”
- All post offices
Click for a full list of Money Gram locations.
- Central Cooperative Bank
- Credit Agricole Bank
- All OMV petrol stations in the country
Click for a full list of Western Union locations.