There has been a bathhouse here at least since Roman times.
The Turks, another bunch of enthusiastic bathers, fell in love with the site upon arriving in town in 1382.
In fact, until a century ago, the place was a traditional Turkish bathhouse, containing separate buildings for men and women.
Stories from the time describe this as a popular hangout spot for male Sofianites who lurked around the exit to catch a glimpse of the red-faced, freshly-bathed ladies on their way home.
The current building was constructed in 1913. It incorporates the Bulgarian interpretation of the famous Vienna secession architectural movement, with elements of Byzantine and Bulgarian Revival architecture.
It served as the city’s public bath until 1986, when it was closed down due to its deteriorating state, as well as the general decline in the popularity of the concept of public bathing.
Ever since then the building has remained unused apart from hosting the occasional exhibition or being a movie set
Lately, ideas about converting it into a Museum of Sofia have surfaced.